Message From Dr. Scarsella
Dear Palos 118 Families,
Welcome back! We look forward to seeing you next week for the start of the 2019-2020 school year. The first day of school for grades K - 8 is Wednesday, August 21, 2019.
At Palos South, there will be no Zero Hour on the first day. This will be a full day of attendance for students. Students assigned to a Zero Hour class and riding the bus on Wednesday, August 21, should report to their regular bus stop and not their Zero Hour bus stop. Zero Hour Band (8th Grade) and Zero Hour PE (7th Grade) will begin Thursday, August 22. Zero Hour Capstone in 8th grade will begin the week of August 26th based on the Capstone days assigned.
The first day of school for preschoolers is Thursday, August 22, 2019. All preschool students attend Palos West.
Below are a few quick reminders:
- Access your child's class and bus assignment through the Skyward Parent Access link on the district's website under the Quick Links tab beginning August 15 at 9 a.m. Remember to confirm your child's classroom and bus assignment online up until Tuesday, August 20, as assignments may have changed.
- Remember to add money to your child's food service account online. Also, please review your child's 4-digit lunch code with them. Lunch codes are the same as last year for returning students. For more information, please visit Food Service Program Information under Quick Links on our website.
- Any Palos South students who did not receive their device on August 13 or 15 – 12:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m. or 4:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. should go to the Media Center on the first day of school. Remember all 6th grade and new to the district parents must view the orientation video prior to receiving the device. For more information, visit www.palos118.org/1-1.
- Kindergarten Curriculum/Orientation Night is Tuesday, August 20 at 5:30 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. Preschool Visitation Day is Wednesday, August 21 at Palos West. Morning Preschool attends from 10:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. Afternoon Preschool attends 1:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m.
- Please be patient with the transportation schedule as we work through the first few days of school. You may experience delays, especially on the first day of school, August 21st.
- Our annual Back to School Family Picnic at Palos South Middle School will be held on Wednesday, August 21, from 5 -7 p.m. Parking at Palos South is limited. Please consider parking at the St. Peter and Paul Ukrainian Church, located at 8410 131st Street. Shuttle buses will be provided to and from the church.
- On our website under Quick Links, you will find a digital copy of this year's school calendar and handbook.
- If you will not be utilizing Palos 118 transportation to or from school please contact the transportation department at 708-448-4405 or e-mail Mary Meyer, Coordinator of Transportation at email@example.com to have your student removed from busing.
- This school year all students will start 30 minutes later on Wednesdays with the exception of the first and last week of school. Information on Late Start Wednesdays can be found on the Late Start Wednesdays Web Page at www.palos118.org/parents/late-start-wednesdays For more information regarding back to school activities, please visit our website at www.palos118.org.
We look forward to seeing you next week!
Dr. Anthony M. Scarsella
Superintendent of Schools
Connect with us